Using henna to color hair is a fabulous alternative to synthetic dyes.
Our hennas are natural hair dyes that work like a varnish over your hair color to coat every strand. Using a herbal hair dye like henna means that every shade is completely unique, emerging roots look subtle compared to synthetic dye alternatives, and your hair gains an additional protective layer, boosting condition and gloss.
How to use henna
- Rubber gloves
- Bain-marie or a heatproof bowl in a saucepan
- Stirring spoon
- Newspapers on the floor
- Clips to section your hair
- Dark-colored towels
- Cling film/shower cap (optional)
- Protective balm, like Ultrabland or Ultrabalm (also optional)
- Coloring brush to apply henna (or just use your gloved hands)
First, do a strand test:
To make sure you’re completely happy with the results, always complete a strand test (this is particularly important if you have chemically treated your hair in any way). The color will continue to develop for up to 24 hours after application.
Add boiling water to a small amount of henna in a heatproof bowl and use rubber gloves to apply to a section of hair about half an inch wide. Leave for up to three hours, shampoo and rinse out. If you are satisfied with the color after 24 hours, apply the henna to the rest of the hair.
Note: If more than 40 percent of your hair is gray, remember to include some in your strand test. After using henna, gray hairs sparkle brighter than dark ones, so expect vibrant results.
How to use:
1. Smooth a protective balm like Ultrabalm around the hairline to ensure your skin isn’t accidentally tinted.
2. Break your henna block into chunks and place into a bain-marie or heatproof bowl over a pot of hot water. Cover the henna with boiling water and stir until the mixture resembles melted chocolate.
3. When the henna is comfortably hot, apply it evenly to clean, dry hair. For best results, work from the roots to the tips, starting from the back of the hair and moving towards the front. During the application, ensure the henna stays comfortably hot in your bain-marie or saucepan.
To learn more about henna, check out our Lush Henna FAQ article, or watch our All About Henna video. As always, you can give our customer care team a call at 1-888-733-5874 or visit your local shop to get expert advice.